STEM PL All Summer Long
Looking to get your STEM learning fix this summer? Why not jump online for a few minutes and learn something awesome from the safety of your home. We've crafted a series of live and asynchronous content for you to dig into. There are no rules, learn what you want, when you want. And this is STEM Cobb...so you know there will be prizes for playing along!
Contact person for Pop In PL: Dr. Sally Creel, STEM & Innovation Supervisor, Cobb County School District
Covid-19 has reshaped how we think about Professional Learning. We have to reimagine the traditional model of coming together and participating in breakout sessions. We quickly realized asking participants to sit in 6 to 8 hours of video breakout sessions was not going to be successful. The question we have been exploring is “How do we provide valuable content and skill development to our stakeholders in a way that is fun, interactive, and exciting?”.
To do so in a virtual environment, we have created a new approach to professional learning!
Cobb County’s Virtual Professional Learning (VPL) is a self-paced, gamified, guide to help you level up and earn achievements as you develop new skills! Over the next 5 weeks, you will have the opportunity to :
Game Play goes Live
How to play
- Starting June 16th, you can register and create an account to begin playing the game.
- Shortly after registering, you will be placed in a chat room with 4 other teachers to collaborate with.
- Once logged in, you will now have access to track what achievements you have unlocked. Your goal as a player, is to unlock all 27 achievements, starting with “Intro to Gameplay”
- When you click on an available achievement to earn, you will be provided with a brief overview, supporting documents/videos/links on that topic, and a list of challenges to solve. Keep in mind, we have purposefully not provided step by step answers on how to solve the challenges. The goal is to use critical thinking and problem solving skills to solve them on your own! (or as a team)
- You can write notes and document your progress next to each challenge. Once you feel you have adequately completed the challenges, simply mark the “Achievement Completed” button and return back to the main page! This is all based on the honor system.
- From there, you will see all new unlocked achievements you can now work towards earning.